Friday, July 22, 2011

Nordan Art One Year Celebration Party

Nordan Art Gallery


The invitation to the celebration party had arrived from Flora Nordenskiold while I'd been off line. I'd seen a notice in my e-mail that she had sent me something, and when I logged in-world I saw that it was an announcement about an event on Saturday, the 23rd of July. The happening is a one year celebration and also the release of a publication, "Nordan Art: A Retrospective 2010 to 2011", a commemorative book about year one of the gallery. The festivities are scheduled to begin at 2 pm PDT/SLT at Nordan Art Gallery with musical accompaniment provided by DJ and Nordan Art resident, Eifachfilm Vacirca. While there, visitors can also enjoy the current exhibit, which had opened on the 9th of July and features the work of; Theoretical Afterthought, Igor Ballyhoo, Cherry Manga, Anley Piers and lalie Sorbet. The exhibition will be open through the 10th of September.

I had an opportunity on Thursday evening to see part of the exhibit and a little later, a brief chat in IM with Flora about Saturday's event and the book.                        

Nazz: Hello Flora, how've you been?

Flora: Hi Nazz, I'm good, how are you?

Nazz: I'm doing pretty good. I was just over your place to check out Anley Piers build ... it's quite extraordinary.

Flora: Yes, she is very talented. I think she has a few things at UWA now also, but I love the work she had at Nordan right now.

Nazz Lane: I've seen her work at UWA before and yes, I really liked it. So, the one year anniversary ... you must be quite proud and happy. Are there any highlights from year one that stands out more so then any other?

Flora: You know, one of the most pleasurable moments is when we work really hard on an exhibit and it finally all comes together, just in time for the opening ... it is such a great sense of accomplishment, I think not only for me, but also for the artists. There is so much pride involved in creating.

Nazz: So it's that moment when it all comes together for you then?

Flora: For me and the artists, when we have put it all together and are ready for the opening.

Nazz: Beside the book which commemorates the first year, will there be any other special events at the celebration?

Flora: No just the party, the book is pretty special, we just finished it tonight.

Nazz: How long did it take to put the book together?

Flora: Oh, it took us about three weeks, Huckleberry Hax and I did it together. Igor Ballyhoo contributed and we had some input from Paola Tauber. Igor wrote the foreword, I wrote the acknowledgments, Huck the afterward and each artist has text and images.

Nazz: Will it be available outside of Second Life?

Flora: It will be published on line, through Issuu. We are very excited. I think it came out very well.

Nazz: I look forward to seeing it and I'll try to be there on Saturday.

Flora: I hope to see you there Nazz.

No comments: